Threads is an innovative, luxury fashion personal shopping and commerce business. Through social and chat-based media, we inspire our international client base to discover the rarest and most beautiful luxury items. We then search the globe to procure them for our clients; this is the future of retail. Threads is in Tech City’s Future Fifty programme which recognises some of the UK’s fastest growing businesses.
We're looking for experienced developers to be part of a great team that will define the next stage of our platform development and growth, and pioneer the future of Social Commerce. Some of the tools we design and build will set a path for chat commerce that not only drives the fashion industry, but retail as a whole.
We are striving to integrate customer systems with enterprise and in-house solutions to create a unique platform to allow us to lead in luxury chat-based commerce. So we can do this, we offer top class hardware and all the software you need to work efficiently, training opportunities and a self-development budget and the chance to work on new products and innovative solutions using the newest technologies while following the best practices as part of a highly skilled team.
You are passionate about creating software and you want to solve complex problems - and you want to participate in both product and technical decisions.
You are good at analysing the business requirements and translating them to the system design - components, API and schema.
You enjoy the process of discovery of the optimal technical design of solutions – you thrive on uncertainty and enjoy making it into a certainty about software design.
You strongly believe in team-work – you know that while it may be faster to create things “your way”, building maintainable software systems that adapt to the changes requires team collaboration.
If the above describes you well, you will love being part of the technology team at Threads – we are really looking forward to seeing your application!
We will ask you to do a quick technical test focussed on problem solving in small coding challenges and, if successful, you will have an interview with our developers and a few other people.
From the interviews, we want you to learn about the tech projects we work on and to be excited about what we strive to achieve as a business.
Our vision is to pioneer the best luxury personal shopping experience in the world. We believe that today it can be delivered via social media – inspiring our clients with the latest fashion trends – and via chat applications that provide that most flexible customer experience. Having bought something, our clients keep coming back and bring their families and friends to buy from us.
The focus of our technology platform is not to separate our sales team from the customers, but to augment their expertise and to support their work with tools and algorithms to let our sales team focus on what they like doing - helping our customers to express themselves with fashion.
Our primary focus is to streamline the work of our sales team – personal shoppers – to completely eliminate routine and manual entry from their lives.
We are also building the solutions to manage our “social shopfront” on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/threadsstyling/) – to create and to publish social content and to manage product information in this content.
Another important project we work on helps managing our chats with the clients.
Our data analytics and machine learning team creates the solutions that augments our personal shoppers expertise with the insights into our products and customers.
We have an experienced engineering team, where everybody contributes to all aspects of the application development - infrastructure, databases, services, clients. If you lack the skills in some of these areas – we will give you the support you need to learn.
Our product development process is super-agile - we very quickly iterate product definition and UX followed by the technical implementation. Our software development team is involved in all stages and has an influence on product and UX decisions – we expect you to express your views!
We continue growing the team and you will be involved in interviewing the next developers to join the team. We provide top class hardware and all the software you need to work efficiently.
What you’ll be doing
- Contributing to one or several projects at all stages of their life cycle
- Designing systems and solutions, writing code, automated tests and deployment
- Learning new technologies and bringing this knowledge to the team
- Influencing discussions around best practices and new technologies
- Contributing to the growth of the team
Within 1 month, you will...
- Understand our platform, tools, technology roadmap.
- Have clear direction through company vision, OKRs, product requirements.
- Contribute to one of the projects we are working on.
- Develop strong working relationships with the team and contribute to daily stand-ups.
- Have mentorship and assistance provided by your colleagues.
Within 3-6 months, you will...
- Contribute to tech OKRs planning.
- Influence our design, engineering & product teams towards new technology features.
- Be an instrumental part of the team, possibly being involved in several systems or features.
- Interviewing, hiring, and training other team members.
- Never want to leave!
Who we’re looking for
The ideal candidates will have exceptional technical knowledge, a creative approach to problem solving, and an interest in building a retail industry-first analytics platform. We want to be able to automate our processes at every stage – from order to delivery – while also collecting data, including multimedia content, from various social platforms. We then want to analyse our content, data and user behaviours with natural language processors and machine learning systems.
- An expert knowledge and commercial experience developing services and APIs using Node.js, including the knowledge of core Node.js modules and npm packages
- An expert knowledge of the React development patterns and related tools
- A good working knowledge of AWS services: ECS, SNS, S3, RDS, Lambda just to name a few we use right now
- Docker containers
- Securing web applications
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) tools and systems
- Experience of designing and implementing large systems
- Good knowledge of some variant of SQL
Nice to have:
- Infrastructure as code solutions - preferably with Terraform
- Server-side development experience using any other languages (such as Python, Java, C#)
- Serverless development with AWS Lambda or other similar solutions
- Other programming languages, ideally Python
- NoSQL: ElasticSearch, Redis
- Enterprise integration patterns
Culture is very important to us. We work hard and think big. We collaborate, we innovate and we trust each other. We work in a fast-paced environment and, in order to maintain momentum, we invest in our team’s growth and development.
Our offices are based at Second Home Spitalfields: a collaborative, creative space in East London that offers a full cultural and well-being programme, bicycle storage, free tea and coffee and on-site shower facilities.
You will get:
- Great agile working environment with a highly skilled, motivated team, based at Second Home in Spitalfields.
- Access to top of the range equipment
- Self development allowance for conferences and training
- Contribution to open source projects
- Company socials, Friday drinks and snacks are just some of weekly rituals that happen at Threads.
- 25 Days Holiday
- Pension Contribution
- Private Medical Package (through Vitality)
- Discount Programme: A Range of opportunities to purchase discounted products or receive cash back with an extensive range of high street retailers, leisure and travel providers.
- Gym Membership Discounts
- Cycle to Work Scheme